Thursday, September 01, 2005

Rockin' Reading

Geez, big scaredy cats live here! LOL, yes we had a big storm,no, it wasn't like Cyclone Tracy at all, this was just a baby! I guess I shouldn't be mean tho, being a North Queenslander I'm used to cyclones. We live on the top of a hill, so when we were upstairs, the wind was howling like crazy past the windows. The kids weren't even scared, Mia [that's what she wants as her net name] was more worried about the HUGE [heh, not!] spider on her bed. Yoda went to battle with the spider brush for her & calmly wandered down with it dangling from it.

Today I wandered around DFO, one of my favourite shops is the book shop, books at least half the price of the big bookshops. I can always get at least 1 or 2 great reference books for at least a third of retail and then wander around the fiction section. I read pretty much anything [ even the back of the loo roll packet *g*] but my favourite genre's are Historical fiction and Sci fi fantasy. I also like crime fiction but it has to be good to retain my attention. My favourite authors are Katherine Kerr, Melanie Rawn & Australian authors Sara Douglass & Traci Harding.

Anyway, it's rare to find those there but quite often I find a great new book to read, this week I bought Blood Ties by C.C. Humphreys, based on Anne Boleyn and her daughter Elizabeth.

What do you read?

feelin' - calm
hearin' - Play Me - Adam Thompson [RECONNECTED]

3 Even Wiser people reply:

BwcaBrownie said...

Please let me recommend English crime writer the late Josephine Tey. Very clever and classy. I love Americans Elmore Leonard, Carl Hiaasen and Loren Estleman. Australia's Peter Temple is pretty good too.

antikva said...

Thanks Brownie,I'll have to check them out,haven't heard of Josephine Tey. I also like Carl Hiaasen :0)

BwcaBrownie said...

Josephine Tey titles: Brat Farrar; The Franchise Affair; Daughter Of Time (1951); . . .there’s a minor classic of British detective fiction, 'The Daughter of Time' (1951), by Josephine Tey, the author of the novel from which Hitchcock’s Young and Innocent (1937) was adapted. The investigator-hero, Inspector Grant, must spend several weeks laid up in a hospital bed from which he is inspired by boredom to solve a murder - though not exactly one committed under his nose. Rather, it took place several hundred years earlier when the two young ‘Princes in the Tower’ were reputedly ordered to death by their uncle, Richard III. Whole passages in Tey’s novel anticipate the mood and characters of Rear Window.